Thursday, April 16, 2009

Week one with Stan and Lana


Well right before my second week off this semester, my parents came to visit for a two week vacation. When the arrived after a long time of traveling both of them were so thankful to be and the apartment that we rented. It had a perfect location in the center of the city and close to my school. The first dinner my mom made chicken legs cooked in olive oil. We made the best dues we could with what we had to cook with, but the meal was truly wonderful. I really needed some American mommy meanls. After they adjusted to the time after a good nights sleep I took them to meet Franciso, my favorite Spaniard, for a wine and tappas tasting with Kelley's family. This was a 4 hour shindig and opened my mother's eyes to the world of cooking with olive oil. We tried 3 different oils along with meats and cheeses, gazpacho, olives, hams, and spanish food galore. Not to mention the 4 different wines too. This really got us into the mood of enjoying Spain and all the wonders it has to offer. My mom's oilve oil tastebuds will never be the same.
That week I also took my parents to the Mirador de San Nicolas so that they could see the best view of the Alhambra. After they made the trek up there they loved it. Both of them kept commenting on how good the air smelled. So for a while we looked at the Alhambra, and listened to the hippie music. On the way back down we took a different route and saw the paseo de los tristes and did some shopping in the Moroccan styled shops. This paseo is a path of the sad because it used to be a place for people to visit a cemetery. However now it shows beautiful ruins on the side of the Alhambra and is no longer a cemetary as it was centuries ago.
On Friday we went to the Alhambra. My mom got some good ideas for her garden and got to look up into the city where we were the day before at the Mirador de San Nicolas. I tried to be the best tour guide, telling them everything I have learned about the Alhambra, considering this was about my 6th time being at the palace. I wore them out that day. On Saturday we started out trip to Portugal, more to come on that part of the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Hola - What can I say... you got me to the other side of the world! This was a trip that was a life experience and I will never forget it. It really was like living on another planet. I can't even begin to tell you how proud your dad and I are of the way you handle yourself in this new world. If only your dad could lose the Greek accent we could take him out more often. Thanks for taking such good care of us for two weeks and being our interperter. It really was a vacation of a lifetime. But I still can't believe I walked into a grocery store, spoke not even a full sentence in Spanish, and bought enough food for 2 days. Gracias! AdiĆ³s,
    Hasta luego! Love ya forever!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete